Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Scary, man!

The maid at my mum's place had been here for less than 3 months.  However, she requested for a transfer, claiming that she can't stay on as she felt that my mum was not satisfied with her work performance and that she does not have a room by herself (what a request!).  As this was her 2nd time requesting, we informed the maid agency and selected a maid last week.

On Monday nite, we noticed that she has rashes and big red lumps on her hands, neck, etc.  Karine called me in the morning after bringing her to see the doctor on Tuesday.  The doctor has diagnosed it as scabies, a skin disease caused by mites.  According to her, it should be brought in from her rural hometown.  What's worse, it's contagious!  Yeeeehhhh!

As Karine had to rush off for urgent work, she can't handle her.  Too bad, I also had an appointment to choose lights for the new house.  I quickly settled my things and went to my mum's place.

The moment I stepped into the house, my mum called for help.  My niece, Valarie, is restless and lying outside the room toilet.  I rushed in and saw that she's in cold sweat and looked pale.  She just had her medication (fever and flu) and felt drowsy.  I took a towel to clean her before helping her up (boy, was she heavy!!!).  Luckily, she felt alrite within the next half hour and was asking for fruits to eat.

We can't afford to keep the maid till the new maid arrives.  I spoke to the maid and informed her to pack up.  Within 20 minutes, she was ready to go.  I sent her back to the agency.

The agency agreed to take her in as they knew that I had a newborn at my mum's place.  They requested for a doctor's certification, which the doctor did by fax.  The maid was to be repatriated back to Indonesia the next morning, as they can't risk her infecting this disease to anyone else.

That evening, all the items used by the maid were thrown away - mattress, pillow, blanket, cup, etc.  I even sprayed Dettol disinfectant for the whole house.  And just when I thought this was over...

This morning, Brandon woke up with a red spot on the face.  I assumed that it was a mosquito bite and ignored it.  Later towards the afternoon, the spots seemed to have multiplied.  There was even rashes on his hands and back.  This worried me.  You know what I'm thinking? I quickly brought him to the same clinic which saw the maid.


Phew!  Doctor confirmed that this can't be scabies.  It's either some form of viral rash or the worst case, chicken pox.  We'll have to monitor the rashes and go for a review if it gets worse.

Scary, man!

No comments: